If I had a million dollars, I'd build you a school.

Monday, May 5, 2008

It's the Caring Stupid

My friend Stacy is a former colleague of mine from my days in New Jersey. She teaches history and American government, and is one of the best teachers I have ever worked with. She does everything a great teacher should do: inspires and challenges her students; makes them really think about what she's teaching; earns their respect; and gets them to actually learn the material and the skills in her curriculum. Stacy writes a blog at sassafrasmama.blogspot.com where she talks about her life as a teacher, a single mom, and all around great person. I really wish more of my friends did this. Reading her blog has been a great way to feel like I'm more involved in her everyday life, even though I rarely get to see her these days.

Stacy's post from yesterday made me think a bit about my whole approach to my build-a-school project. So far I have been oriented towards the curricular goals of a school: what the school should be teaching. Stacy reminds me that it's much more import how we are teaching. That's the part that really makes a difference in students' lives.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Wow.

Thanks for the kind words.
I think that the what, the why, and the how of what we teach comes together best when we love what we do. The students can just tell.