If I had a million dollars, I'd build you a school.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

What I'm Reading Now

One of my favorite things about being a teacher is hanging out with other teachers. Teachers as a demographic tend to be interesting, engaged and knowledgeable people, and I enjoy learning from them. Teachers also tend to be readers, and I love sitting around the lunch table or in the faculty room talking about what we are all reading and what our favorite books are. If it hasn't come up already here, I love books.

With that in mind, I want to add a little side piece to this blog, not directly related to the project of designing a school, but more with the idea of creating a community for teachers to engage with other teachers about things that interest them. So, over on the side bar, just above the archive, I've got a section called What I'm Reading Now. I'll keep it up to date with whatever book I happen to be reading at the moment. (I tend to savor, so it will usually only change a couple of times a month). I'd love to hear from other people who have read, or are interested in, the same book. I'd also love to hear about what other people are reading. Once I've finished a book, I'll post my thoughts on it, and put up a new one.

First on the list: Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War, by Nathaniel Philbrick. I'm about halfway through so far, and am enjoying it immensely. I have to admit a very poor knowledge of the actual events leading up to and following the founding of Plymouth Colony, despite growing up about 50 miles away, and almost annual pilgrimages (so to speak) to Plymouth Plantation for most of my elementary school years. I'll post a fuller commentary when I finish, but so far I really recommend it.

Coming soon on the subject of books:

My Five Favorite Books of All Time

and

Five Books Every Student Should Read Before Graduating

No comments: